The Solar Champion: Light a Billion Lives with the Solar Bulb
The Solar Champion: Light a Billion Lives with the Solar Bulb
Gerry Balasta, a filmmaker from New York, is in the process of completing his second feature film, a hilarious movie called THE SOLAR CHAMPION! His first film, The Mountain Thief, had won several awards and continues to have a successful run as it continues to grow as more than a motion a picture as it continue to touch lives.
The following is the Kickstarter Campain to help fund THE SOLAR CHAMPION:
- THE SOLAR CHAMPION is the continuation of our work and this time in a narrative comedy and a documentary form. Acted by the talented actors of The Mountain Thief, this film is truly inspiring, funny and entertaining. It is truly a continuation of the changes that we have started.
- One of the challenges of our time is getting Solar or renewable energy to the poorest communities. 1.3 Billion people in the world doesn't have access to electricity, and they use kerosene gas to light their home at night. Aside from health issues, it has an impact to our environment. THE SOLAR CHAMPION will join the discussion through the documentary part of the film.
- We will find, highlight inventors, dreamers and "REAL LIFE SOLAR CHAMPIONS." Like Steve Katsaros, the American inventor of the "world's only rechargeable SOLAR BULB" and we would like to find the Brazilian from Sao Paolo, widely credited for the Brazilian Bottle Bulb and many more. We want to include their inspirational stories in the film, and the other inventors, dreamers and organizations who are all responding to the challenges of renewable energy. When this film is done, we have a very "cool" TRANSMEDIA component to go with the advocacy, which can potentially make the impact of the film HUGELY SIGNIFICANT! We're very excited!
The Solar Bottle Bulb:
- The Mountain Thief and The Solar Champion were acted by scavengers from a dumpsite community, children from the film got medical help, and a special needs child and the main actor is now going to school. Through the film and its supporters, more children from the landfill will go to school this June 2012 on scholarships (6 total). I am proud to say that after working on it for more than five years, the film has become an agent of philanthropy as more change will happen. This is featured in both films.
- FILM and ADVOCACY: Similar to our first film, we want to use The Solar Champion as an agent for our advocacy. We want to use the film as a platform in highlighting and promoting the urgency and impact of using renewable energy and, be part of the discussion and be one of the bridges to the solution in lighting a billion lives without access to electricity. If you want to join our advocacy or be one of the producers or outreach partner please send us a message at The Solar Champion Page.
- Join our efforts and adventure, help us finish this truly unique film and opportunity! PLEASE READ THE SIDE BAR as we have prepared a lot of perks and rewards, limited edition T-shirts, DVDs, CDs and other exceptional offers including THE NOKERO SOLAR BULB!!! The World's Only Solar Bulb (Below):
We are so, so excited to get a chance to share this film to entertain and make people laugh and continue to make positive changes! Looking forward to hearing from you! Please join our Facebook Page (CLICK HERE), a place for a discussion, get updated, and exchange ideas. Thank you!
All the best,
Gerry Balasta, Writer-Director and THE SOLAR CHAMPION TEAM
The CHAMPION FAMILY from HAPPYness VILLAGE, Manila tries to get the word out on Daddy Champion's (father) inventions. Most are ridiculous but one is a SOLAR BULB that will change their fate.
Their father, a 70 year old dreamer and a hopeless romantic who dreams of things that are impossible encourages his kids to follow their dreams and one project that they have is to find the "next" Manny Pacquiao, a prized fighter who just earned $25 million dollars from his last fight. The search begins as they navigate their way in life.
In the end they all find inspiration from their father and the least likely place they expected it, and that they didn't know it existed---from the prizefighter within themselves. The film ends in a documentary, where we discover and track the real lives of the actors of the film---They are the cast of THE MOUNTAIN THIEF from a landfill community. We will also feature inventors, dreamers and real life SOLAR CHAMPIONS!
HOW YOUR MONEY WILL HELP?
We will get the film out in film festivals and expected to have a cut of the film in time for festival submissions for an exciting 2013 film festival run!
Your support will help us finish the film and allow us to spread our comedy of hope and inspiration to the world. With such an incredibly important and universal story, It is crucial that it reaches the largest audience possible.
If you are able to contribute financially we have amazing incentives to the right. If you can spread the word about our Kickstarter campaign to your friends, on facebook and to strangers in the grocery store we would be eternally grateful!
Here’s a breakdown of how we plan to use the funds:
- Pay for Film Music Rights (for world release)
- Pay for Film Composition, Sound Design, Music Edits and Mix
- Pay for editing Final Cut of the film
- Pay for Subtitling Final Film in English
- Pay for Editing various versions of the film, in different formats, HDCAM, Beta, Blue Ray etc... to share in as many different outlets as possible: Theatrical, Domestic Broadcast, International Broadcast
- Pay for Editing Film Trailer
- Pay to shoot additional footages for the documentary part at the end of the film. Shooting the lives of the actors and interviewing the real life SOLAR CHAMPIONS! and finding and including in the film visionaries and inventors of solar bulbs, the Brazilian bottle bulb, solar lamps and new innovations in renewable energy in India, Philippines and many more!
- Build a "robust" website and make it a resource site for the advocacy of the film in renewable energy, energy poverty the environment and using film and the arts to make a direct impact on lives.
CAN WE EXCEED OUR GOAL?
We need $20,000 to do all of the above and we need to exceed our goal as the project continues to evolve and its call for action and scope is getting bigger. We want to make a film that will have a huge impact!
THE SOLAR CHAMPION executes our mission and philosophy of "using films and the arts to make a direct impact on lives."
This film is unique in its feature, although it is a comedy in a narrative format, it is an independent film with an independent documentary nature and it also has a short documentary in the end. Making the film does not follow a capitalist model, which judges success by the dollars a product makes in the market place, but more of a NGO or non-profit model, which judges success by the number of people it reaches and the change it effects.
Because of the success of The Mountain Thief that we have slowly built (our blog chronicles)on since 2010 so far, we have the opportunity to have this film, a continuation of the process reach more worldwide. People will be very interested especially in this comedy form. However, the challenge is ours to raise funds to complete the film so it can get to the audiences that will and can actively watch it and use it as a tool to learn about how we are able to affect change, make a direct impact in our own little way and using films as a platform. In this case, through the direct impact to the lives of the actors involved in the film.
Moreover, a specialty film like this, not only production, but distribution is dependent on donations or state grants to fund the outreach to a broad audience. THE SOLAR CHAMPION is a classic ‘social issue’ film that can and will have a broad impact on communities everywhere if the funds can be found to do the work properly.
By supporting our work and this Kickstarter campaign, you are supporting the artist, his work as well as the impact to lives beyond the film.
THE SOLAR CHAMPION IS A WINNER!
Most films that you might want to make a donation to are high risk propositions: will they even get finished and be any good, let alone be seen by more than the filmmaker’s friends and family?
The Solar Champion is one of those rare, no risk films, of which the precedent has already received acclaim, and has started a non-profit and movement. But it needs your help to reach the larger world. Your donation will go to a project that, once it makes its budget, is guaranteed to touch lives and carry over what The Mountain Thief has started---as a tool for awareness and directly touching lives by inspiring people and the call for action. See your name in lights!
Through the supporters of THE MOUNTAIN THIEF, a non-profit in the US was formed called THE MOUNT HOPE PROJECT, Inc. An NGO called THE MOUNT HOPE INITIATIVE, Inc. was also formed in the Philippines. These are the organizations that are both independent of the film that has been executing the changes and the impact that our film has started.